St Michael's Cricket Club


Opponent : Bold Dragoon (Garnett Cup Quarter final)
Date : Saturday 31 May 2003
Venue : Weston Favell
Result : St Michael's won by 8 runs

Innings of: St Michael's

1 D Harrison ct Davies Welsh 3 Bowling O M R W
2 M Collier ct Handford Welsh 25 D O'Dell 8 1 23 0
3 W Kingston jr ct J Teckman Handford 13 R Sparling 5 2 6 1
4 D Allen LBW Handford 9 G Welsh 8 1 24 4
5 D Tebbutt ct Davies Welsh 2 P Handford 6 0 19 3
6 A Tate st J Teckman Welsh 1 N Page 7 0 18 2
7 B Ahearn b Page 7
8 W Kingston sr ct Welsh Page 4
9 J Phillips ct Davies Handford 2

T Marlow


Sparling 8

S Cannell

not out 1
Overs 34


Wickets 10



Innings of: Bold Dragoon

1 R Sparling ct Ahearn Allen 18 Bowling O M R W
2 G Welsh LBW Allen 0 T Marlow 8 0 31 3
3 N Briggs ct Tebbutt Cannell 1 D Allen 6.2 1 9 4
4 P Handford ct Allen Marlow 37 S Cannell 8 4 35 3
5 A Davies ct Cannell Allen 4 D Tebbutt 3 1 2 0
6 N Page ct Tebbutt Marlow 4
7 J Teckman ct Phillips Cannell 0
8 T Bunting ct Marlow Cannell 0
9 C Davies ct Harrison Allen 1
10 R Davies ct Collier Allen 4

D O'Dell

not out 0
Overs 25.2


Wickets 5



Match report

St Michael's won a tense and thrilling Garnett Cup clash at a sun drenched Weston Favell on Saturday to book a semi final place against last year's cup winners Prims XLCR.

St Michael's batted first. A hostile opening spell from Danny O'Dell and Rob Sparling restricted the runs, but wickets were hard to find. After Dale Harrison had been dismissed for 3, in form Matt Collier and Will Kingston both looked in good form. Collier had been given a life in the first over of the day when Andy Davies fumbled a simple chance at point. He was eventually dismissed for 25, looking to push the score on, and was caught off Geoff Welsh's teasing spinners. Kingston was out for 13, and after that, it was a pitiful batting display, as the rest of the St Michael's players failed to apply themselves to the task in hand. The bowlers just had to put it on the spot, and the home batters duly lay down their arms. The final score of 94 looked low, and should certainly have been higher in view of the fact that 6 overs went unused.

In reply, the Bold started solidly. With their 3 first choice bowlers missing, it was up to Tom Marlow and young Dave Allen to open the attack. Marlow was removed after 2 costly owners, but Allen had other ideas, claiming 3 for 9 in a devastating opening spell. 

Pete Handford took a liking to the St Michael's attack, hitting numerous boundaries. But he swung once too often and was out for a quickfire 37, leaving the score at 71 for 5. But Bold were still in the driving seat, needing on 24 to win with 5 wickets in hand with overs no consideration. But the wickets continued to fall, Marlow and Simon Cannell bagging 3 a piece, before Dave Allen came on to claim his fourth to wrap up the game.

A excellent game of cricket, exciting to the end, but one that won't be remembered for the quality of the batting. 

The sides meet again next Saturday in the league, with the match being played at the Old Northamptonians ground in Billing Road.


Home  |   About us  |  Fixtures  |  History  |  Notices  |  Links   |  Review  |   Archive