St Michael's Cricket Club


Opponent : Primrose Hill
Date : 16 August 2003
Venue : Weston Favell Upper School
Result : Won by 6 wickets

Innings of: Primrose Hill

1 T Harris ct York b Allen 4 Bowling O M R W
2 L Moven ct Tate b Allen 5 T Marlow 7 2 15 1
3 W Parris Run out 0 D Allen 6 1 27 4
4 A Khan ct Kingston jr b Allen 19 I Geddes 1 0 1 1
5 D Ansell ct Collier b Marlow 2 T Kirby 0.4 0 0 2
6 G Barber ct Ahearn b Kirby 6
7 M Oosthuizen ct Kingston jr b Allen 0
8 J Neal b Geddes 0
9 S Harris Not out 0
10 M Orton b Kirby 0
Overs 14.4


Wickets 9 (all out)



Innings of: St Michael's

1 D York ct Harris b Parris 5 Bowling O M R W
2 D Harrison b Barber 4 G Barber 5 1 16 1
3 M Collier Not out 15 W Parris 7 4 18 2
4 W Kingston jr b Parris 9 D Ansell 2.3 0 11 1
5 T Kirby b Ansell 4
6 A Tate Not out 8
Overs 14.3


Wickets 4



Match report 

St. Michael's got back to winning ways by easily beating an under strength Primrose Hill on Saturday. In slightly cooler conditions than previous weeks the opposition soon found themselves in trouble when 17-year-old Dave Allen had removed both openers by the end of his third over. A rather dubious run out in the 7th over reduced Primrose Hill to 16-3 – much to the unfortunate batsman’s disbelief. Asad Khan then opened his shoulders briefly and hit a quick 19. But once he was out to an outstanding catch at 2nd slip by Kingston jnr his team-mates folded to 44 all out. St. Michael's fielding was this week up to scratch, and with five different catchers the bowlers were well backed up. Dave Allen finished with 4-27 and Trevor Kirby took two wickets in his first over to wrap up the innings.

In reply St. Michael's stuttered a little. Both openers went cheaply, Kingston jnr. followed last weeks ton with a disappointing 9 – playing across the line once too often and Kirby was bowled around his legs. So it was left to then the old head of Matt Collier to steer his team home by 6 wickets with an unbeaten 15, ably assisted by Andy Tate at the other end. The result means St Michael's are still in the hunt for a top 3 finish which would be the highest league placing in living memory!

Former St. Michael's captain, 88-year-old Fred Harris turned up to watch and renew old acquaintances. He must have been impressed with what he saw, though was probably hoping for a full afternoon's cricket. The game was over by 3:35pm, which meant that the tea his wife had so lovingly packed for him was eaten at home after all!


Ken Barlow (or should that be Tom Marlow?) in action.


Home  |   About us  |  Fixtures  |  History  |  Notices  |  Links   |  Review  |   Archive