St Michael's Cricket Club


Opponent : Harlestone II
Date : 26 April 2008
Venue : Harlestone
Result : Lost by 55 runs

Innings of: Harlestone II

1 R Toone LBW b Lambert 33 Bowling O M R W
2 M Brooks b Baker 6 M Baker 12 2 51 2
3 M Maule b Swann 42 M Lowe 9 1 42 0
4 P Sharma ct Lambert b Geddes 69 I Geddes 10 0 41 1
5 M Harrison ct Lambert b Baker 13 G Lambert 11 1 46 1
6 G Slinn not out 22 M Swann 3 0 13 1
7 J Marsh run out (Geddes) 0
8 M Anglin not out 0
Overs 45


Wickets 6



Innings of: St Michael's

1 S Tinant ct Toone b Harrison 18 Bowling O M R W
2 D Harrison ct Maule b G Slinn 0 G Slinn 11 2 24 3
3 G Mayes ct Toone b G Slinn 27 P Sharma 13 1 30 1
4 A Bartley b E Slinn 25 M Harrison 11 2 50 4
5 M Collier b Harrison 0 E Slinn 8.2 1 30 2
6 G Lambert ct Toone b Harrison 0
7 I Geddes ct Harrison b Sharma 6
8 M Swann b G Slinn 11
9 M Lowe ct Sharma b E Slinn 18
10 B Ahearn b Harrison 20
11 M Baker not out 0
Overs 43.2


Wickets 10



Match report,  by a respected observer of the game of cricket

St Michaels opening match of the 2008 campaign ended in a disappointing 55 run defeat to Harlestone 2s.

The expectation was high on arrival at sunny and picturesque Harlsestone. A series of fielding drills and rabid cricket conversation sent the players into a testosterone laden frenzy before stand in skipper Ian 'Steve Sidwell' Geddes lost the toss and informed the troops we were in the field.

Martin Baker, fresh after completing the Boston Marathon a few days previously, opened the season with an impressive opening spell accounting for Brooks all ends up in the 11th over. At the other end Kolpak signing Mick Du Lowe, bowling up the hill, had trouble with the crease and over stepped on a few occasions. That said St Michael's kept it tight early on, and the introduction of the iconic messiah that is Geoff Lambert with Ian Geddes expected results. However the breakthrough was hard to come by as Harlestone went about their business in setting a testing total. Although Lambert, Geddes, Swann and Baker again picked up wickets the games defining moment was in the last 8 overs when the return of the new ball bowlers saw the Harlestone batters tuck into a boundary laden buffet. Firstly Mick 'Pica' Lowe had to watch as Sharma mullered him over the fence and into the next village. But worse was to follow as Premier bowler Baker was hit into next week not once but twice in the same over. Air traffic control were on a state of alert for a while, but Lambert's diving catch off the bowling of the returning Sidwell put an end to the carnage. But the 45 runs in 5 overs would prove to be crucial at the final outcome.

In response, Michael's never really got going, Weenyhead Harrison gave gully some catching practice. Simeon Tinant, after a bright start, was caught behind and Graham Mayes on his return to the side was likewise caught behind when being well set. Worse was to follow as Kitty Collier got cleaned up first up and Rambo Lambo went gung ho first ball and spooned it up to cover. Evergreen Al Bartley tried to repair the damage, first with Geddes, and then veteran 72 year old left armer Malc Swann. But when they departed it was left to Micky Lowe and gloveman Brian Ahearn to make the score respectable. They put on a stand of 41 with a combination of lightning quick singles, deft late cuts, and technically brilliant stroke play belying their batting positions before first 'Bertie' Ahearn was cleaned up and then next ball 'Swing' Lowe holed out to leave underrated batsmen 'Gilly' Baker at the other end.

A sociable drink was taken at the Fox and Hounds and the football card sold, with Simeon the winner of 20 large. With spirits still high we move to next week.....


Home  |   About us  |  Fixtures  |  History  |  Notices  |  Links   |  Review  |   Archive